Skip
repetitive navigational links
Skip repetitive navigational links
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2003)Back to main CONSGIS pageJoin or leave CONSGISReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:22:30 -0500
Sender:       Biological Conservation and GIS <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Julia Brownlee <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Question

Good afternoon. I would like to ask for your input and advise. I have polygons for conservation sites located in Alaska, the lower 48, Hawaii, USVI, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands. I want to calculate areas for these sites. I am currently working on the best method to use to calculate the areas. The biggest question to resolve is, do you pick one projection that minimizes the distortion in all areas for a consistent data set or use a different projection for each geographic location? Either way, what is the reccomended projection? If you pick mutiple projections, how do they relate to one another from the perspective on consistency? Currently all of the data is in Geographic NAD 83. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to either respond to the listserv or email me directly, [log in to unmask] Thank you and let me know, if you have any questions. Cheers, Julia Brownlee ********************************************************** CONSGIS LISTSERV To unsubscribe send to [log in to unmask] this email message SIGNOFF CONSGIS Questions? Contact Pete August, [log in to unmask] **********************************************************