Skip
repetitive navigational links
Skip repetitive navigational links
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main CATBOATS pageJoin or leave CATBOATSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:25:39 -0400
Sender:       The Catboat Association Discussion List
From:         "Mark K. Metzger" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: of pig-sticks

Ken - I just make my own pig stick from a 3/8-inch piece of dowel, but I put in one screw eye about six or eight inches from the bottom and another on the bottom. I tie the flag halyard onto both ends (an anchor bend on the top one works well; you can tie that or a bowline or a buntline hitch on the bottom). Then run it up, taking care not to foul it on the running rigging, make both parts of the halyard very taut, then secure them together. I have a cleat mounted on my forestay for this - it's about $4 from West Marine. Pigstick always has a bit of an angle, since it's cleated on the forestay, but it looks right. I think you'd need to put a screw eye in below the burgee mount or tie it in with a timber hitch or some such. I'd go with the screw eye myself. Mark Metzger Macavity, M18 On Aug 25, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Ken Katz wrote: > Dear cat pack members, > > With my new Bete-Fleming pig-stick in hand, I tried to figure out > the method of pig-stick use to no avail. I have checked the > archives in which pig-sticks have been described, but that didn't > help either. To wit: the Bete-Fleming straight wood shaft non- > fouling piggie has one eye-screw on the base. From this I surmise > that only one-attachment is made between the burgee halyard and the > pig-stick? If so, then what? I can imagine hauling it up to the top- > mast cheek-block, but not how to get it upright with only one > attachment at the base. I admit a lack of imagination, but I am > very eager to have my CBA burgee flying this weekend. > > > thanks > > ken > > > Mark K. Metzger 12 Overlook Road Arlington, MA 02474 USA +1 781.648.2564 F+1 781.648.2572 M+1 781.254.4186