Skip
repetitive navigational links
Skip repetitive navigational links
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main CATBOATS pageJoin or leave CATBOATSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2006 06:48:22 -0700
Sender:       The Catboat Association Discussion List
From:         Brent Putnam <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: was pig-sticks -> now ensign

Ken, Bob's method is the most common, but if you want to fly more than one flag from the gaff, change flags or have the ability to raise or lower the ensign when under way, something more flexible is in order. I use a block at the peak of the gaff, with a cleat on the boom located over the cockpit. That said; while it works, the concept is still a work in progress. It sometimes gets tangled going up and it can be difficult securing the halyard on a moving boom. I've seen some gaff-rigged vessels with a second block at the throat and the cleat at the gooseneck. Brent --- Robert Luckraft <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Ken: > > Don't put a pig stick at the end of the gaff. > Instead > attach the national ensign to grommets placed in the > leech of the sail at the peak. The flag will fly > better if the spacing of the grommets is such that > the > flag is NOT pulled tight. Rather have the grommets > placed an inch or so shorter in distance than the > spacing on the flag. I found that "quality" clear > plastic ties work good for attachment of flag to the > sail. > Also -- Re: "These colors don't run" > I was warned that some flags can stain the sail and > told to remove the flag prior to having the sail > washed. > -BOB __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com