Skip
repetitive navigational links
Skip repetitive navigational links
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006)Back to main CATBOATS pageJoin or leave CATBOATSReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:56:33 -0700
Sender:       The Catboat Association Discussion List
From:         Robert Luckraft <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: was pig-sticks -> now ensign

Beau: I never don't remember ever seeing anyone flying their ensign at half mast, or for that matter remember reading anything as to what one does on a vessel in that case. Has anyone got an answer to this? As far as flying Old Glory ONLY on Memorial Day and on July 4th. I must say that it is a long standing tradition for vessels to fly the colors. As a catboat sailor, with a boat, which is considered to be a traditional boat I will proudly follow tradition by flying properly sized flags and pennants in their designated place whenever and as best as I can. Done properly flags adds to her beauty, and none more than the US flag or ensign. -BOB --- Beau Schless <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Okay..if you put the ensign on the leech I suppose > the real problem is > when you need to fly it at half mast...I guess you > could use your tell > tails for reefing lines, (just kidding). To my way > of thinking let's > keep flags out on Memorial Day, July 4th, and then > back to the closet; > that is, unless you intend to sail the likes of > your Marshall 18 (or my > Menger 15) to a foreign country, in which case I > think your troubles are > bigger than where to fly your ensign! > > Beau Schless > President/CEO > NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems > HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM > PH: (978) 443-2996 > FX: (309) 404-9106 > > > > "Cecil J. North III" <[log in to unmask]> > Sent by: The Catboat Association Discussion List > <[log in to unmask]> > 08/31/2006 12:03 PM > Please respond to > The Catboat Association Discussion List > <[log in to unmask]> > > > To > [log in to unmask] > cc > > Subject > Re: [CATBOATS] was pig-sticks -> now ensign > > > > > > > One of the reasons I've avoided attaching the ensign > to the leech is > my impression that one is supposed to lower the > ensign at sunset (a > possibility if you run a halyard to the peak end of > the gaff). Am I > off base on this one? I often find myself out at > dusk. > > Cecil North > Eramare, M22 #231 (sloop) > > > On Aug 31, 2006, at 9:59 AM, Stephen Luta wrote: > > > Brent > > > > I tried your method, however at times the flag > halyard would > > tangle, never a > > calm day; usually when there was a breeze. I > hated when I would > > have to > > lower the mainsail to untangle a rat's nest of > line. Also, when > > reefing the > > flag halyard has to be shortened up resulting with > a potential > > rat's nest > > somewhere on the boom. Having to deal with the > flag halyard after > > reefing, say > > putting in the second reef I felt was a safety > issue not worth the > > convenience > > of the flag halyard. > > > > I also have affixed the ensign at the peak. > > > > > > Stephen Luta AC24 #117 Gimli SW Florida > Robert Luckraft [log in to unmask] Sue Rau [log in to unmask] __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com