Skip
repetitive navigational links
Skip repetitive navigational links
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006)Back to main CONSGIS pageJoin or leave CONSGISReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:15:23 -0700
Sender:       Biological Conservation and GIS <[log in to unmask]>
From:         oumar ka <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      fuzzy k-means and raw DEM

Hi all, I have a region where soil survey maps have showns distinct sub-areas based on soil types, geology, and also vegetation. This can also somehow be observed in a visual interpretation of the hillshade map, which suggest a relationship with elevation. I am trying to do something which (because of my lack of knowledge in the field) I don't know if it is feasible and/or sensible at all. 1. I would like to apply a moving window based voariogram algorithm to calculate varogram ranges and map them coutinously through the whole area covered by the DEM. 2. Then I would use this range map to classify the DEM into distinct areas following a fuzzy k-means (preferably) or a k-means approach. 3. Later I would fit a separate variogram model to each class in 2) and derive the range in that class. 4. Finally I would use each range calculated in 3) as "the search radius" to calculate 2 DEM derivatives (elevation percentile and local relief) in a plan to delineate landform units using an algorithm that uses these 2 derivatives as part of its input variables. This I believe would optimize the calculation of these 2 parameters since the search radius is estimated differently in the original algorithm. I was wondering of course if it is possible at all and sensible to use fuzzy k-means to segment raw DEM data in such a way, and if yes how could this be done? If sensible, is it then possible to use variogram ranges (derived as mentioned above) as kind of soft information to fuzzy k-means (or k-means) a DEM, or this could be simply done on the DEM directly. Thank you very much for giving me your thoughts on this. I am not very familiar with this subject, so plz excuse my ignorance if there's something that's not clear in my message. Oumar ********************************************************** CONSGIS LISTSERV To unsubscribe send to [log in to unmask] this email message SIGNOFF CONSGIS Questions? Contact Pete August, [log in to unmask] **********************************************************