Skip
repetitive navigational links
Skip repetitive navigational links
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main CONSGIS pageJoin or leave CONSGISReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:58:46 -0800
Sender:       Biological Conservation and GIS <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Patrick Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Re[4]: spotted owl victory

on Thursday, March 20, 1997 3:09 PM Kai Snyder wrote > REPLY: You missed my point here: fire fighters rarely put out big fires. I > doesn't matter how many helicopters, tankers, etc. they have. I'm not anti- > fire fighters, though. If a forest fire was threatening my home, I'd want > people to help me save it. But its a fallacy to think that they are putting > out fires. I encourage you to look into it. Fire fighters don't do much one > way or the other for spotted owl habitat. Patrick's example could have been > better chosen. Whoa again! Has it occurred to you the the big fires are only the ones they couldn't put out? That doesn't mean they didn't put out lots of fires that might have become big if they hadn't put them out. My example was well chosen and spotted owls and millions of other critters die in fires but not so much in logging unless it is really unsustainable. When you say "Fire fighters rarely put out big fires" perhaps you should remenber Yellowstone, 1988. After one million acres had burned, fire fighters put the fire out (at a cost of $125 million). I will reply to your earlier response later as I am in the middle of a conference at Berkeley campus on the definition of sustainable forestry. Many angels are on the head of this pin! Cheers Patrick Moore, GREENSPIRIT 4068 West 32nd Avenue Vancouver BC, CANADA V6S 1Z6 (604) 221-1990 phone/fax e-mail [log in to unmask] May the Forest be With You Try http://www.forest.org